Monday 27 October 2014

Engraftment and Rituximab - but will I venture out of my bubble room yet??

Disclaimer - I'm writing this catch up on Tuesday morning at 1am, not sure why I'm not asleep but the sleep is not coming and why not use my time to ramble away the last couple of days - things as you know may go haywire!

Day 28
(Sunday)

(Day 0+10) -  ISO day 9 - OR NOT!

Today came with a bit of trepidation.  Bloods and Fluids are given early before breakfast, it's Sunday today so not sure if results will come back as quick as usual.  Now 9 days into ISO I was feeling a bit behind the eight ball I guess, my predecessors of recent weeks had seem to be able to be out in 7 days (ish) and I was feeling like I just wasn't there yet.  Don't get me wrong, I wasn't actually worried, I knew my body needed to do this journey in it's own good time and my stem cells were working their way into just the right places that they needed to be.  Fortunately for me I was also quite happy being in ISO, I was really quite comfortable, Dr F checking in everyday and the nurses looking after me and of course food delivered, room cleaned, clean sheets and vodka baths (what else does a girl need).  I hadn't felt any significant pain, sweats, temps, skin a bit dried out (like a fish) but rectified with the smart purchase Garnier crème in Russian by my husband he hits the nail on the head first time!..  No doubts that I'm in the right place and things are happening.  My body just felt like it was resting and maintaining it's inner peace, taking it's own time to allow all these amazing stem cells to find their place, latch on and reboost me into the world!  (was that a little too much - maybe!)

Didn't have to wait to long, when Dr F, arrived I was on FaceTime to the kids and mum & dad at home..  They just want to tell him how much they love him and how happy they are he is here - Dr F indulges, lovely but it's all about the numbers and they are "fantastic"..  My Leukocytes are finally up to 1.9 and he says that you have "Engraftment" - the magic word, lots of tears, this is it - he says "your husband can come and hug you today", more tears, thank you, thank you, how can I ever show my appreciation at being here.  Dr Fedorenko will be in my heart forever!

Tears and more tears, say goodbye to home so I can find Paul..  He didn't come into ISO day as not much point standing at the door but now I need him quick - I'd been talking to him on and off all morning but now where is he, not answering me quick enough - at breakfast...  me through streaming tears gives him a well undeserved hard time for not being exactly where he should be at the exact point he should be - sorry babe, that was completely uncalled for and should be stricken from the memory board of emotionally uncontrolled wife behaviour - sorry to let you all down but occasionally I'm not quite perfect!  Of course he is ecstatic and off to come and give me my big teary/happy hug that I need.  It's probably not quite the embrace that a good love story can show considering Paul's still got to be dressed up in his complete coat, hat, face mask etc..

After 9 days of separation - back together!
But now we get to spend the day in the room together which is lovely "to be actually in the same room together".  I'm not ready to venture out of my bubble ISO room to the hall just yet, I still want that magic number to come over the 2.0, hopefully tomorrow.  Matt comes in for a chat as he got out of ISO yesterday and his numbers are fantastic.  I'm sure we've said this before but we've been so blessed to go through this process with our UK buddies, it's so nice to go through this both as a patient and carer with someone on the exact path day by day.  They will become great friends for life (well we hope they do, that's if they actually liked us too I guess?)

Paul having dinner with friends at Chips restaurant
Paul has special plans for dinner tonight with some mutual business associates and sounds like he's going somewhere special for dinner, he deserves it!.  Think he needs to insert yummy photo food photo's here, looked amazing - no grudge from me in here, he has done nothing more than run after me, work, when able and run after me and help out a myriad of newcomers as well.  And... unbeknownst to me he also had another plan of surprise for me to come.....


Day 29
(Monday)

Day (0+11) - not ISO but still hiding out...

Daylight savings came today in Moscow and do you think I could possibly manage my lovely bald head around that one..  Considering I sleep sporadically, I'm always looking at what time it is at home, my brain only does the pure basics at the moment, this one just threw me for a 6!

We have lift-off!
Bloods and a small flush this morning in preparation.  Dr Fedorenko has great numbers for me - My Leukocytes are now 5.89 - how amazing is that, they have just rocketed overnight and "I'm so excited".  Dr F says that yes we will do your Rituximab and Steroid infusion today which is again, "so exciting".. 

Anastasia has been away for a couple of days so I get a big cuddle from her, she has been such a treasure here for me whenever I've needed her.  She says all good to start the Rituximab around lunchtime although in comes one of my favourite nurses Gala to get me started at 11.30am..  Luckily I'd had a quick shower, popped on a Tena for a 5 hour sitting (just in case), propped up the digitals and I'm ready for it!  Good note that I was allowed up and down so Tena not needed although always good for back up!
My last infusion - almost there!
!
This is a huge part in finishing here as it's the last of the treatment process.  Dr Fedorenko said he included an antihistamine (I think it was) just in case and I think I just floated off into fairy land.  It was quite lovely for the afternoon.  sleep, float, eat, bit of TV.. 

Bolshoi (centre) & TSUM (on right)
Paul arrives (after his last market dash shopping for me, what a man)!  I mentioned before he had another surprise from the night before which I had no clue.  See he had figured dinner was conveniently located back near the Swarovski store (inside the exclusive TSUM shopping centre) and he went back and bought me the most divine earrings and oh my goodness these are gorgeous - I'm not sure I'm deserving but he beams with pride at how strong I am, how proud he is, this is about us and our family and that is why I am doing this he says, for all of us xx.  

Paul came in and out and checked up on me all day not that I was very entertaining at all.  Also, Dr Fedorenko popped his head in to make sure I was happy along with the nurses constantly.

So happy - I'm done!

Finally finished around 6pm I think.  Paul and I felt in a somewhat state of shock I think once it was over..  It feels like we've done it - so proud of what we've achieved here together.  Love and Support is everything, I can't wait to bring on the next phase and recover at home and see my family!  My kids, my mum and dad, my friends, we miss you!!

We're coming home xx

Time for Paul to go and have his last dinner with Bryn (Matt's brother), I'm sure they'll have a great last catch up!  It's been so great they've had support - not easy supporting a loved one in this situation I'm sure and they've both been amazing.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful smile!!! And the sweetest words...'We're coming home'. Beautifully done, my friend. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news Nat! So happy for you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a tear jerker Nat. Thanks for sharing the moments. Enjoy your flight home. We all love you and can't wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfull news, �� words we have been waiting to hear, a long journey you have bravely travelled, plus reading your story you had the time to write, I have been able to understand the process & feel very proud that you have come through it all. Yes your Family will be so pleased to have you & Paul back home together again. Pam Wildermuth xoxo

    ReplyDelete