Tuesday 4 November 2014

Last Days here in Moscow!

Day 30

Day (0+12)

Strange day to wake up and think that this is I really the last full day here at Pirogov Hospital. 

I'm out of ISO, the only to do is to have my neck catheter removed (or those tentacles of accessories I have come so attached to), start the packing process and relax.  Of course I cannot relax, to many things of course racing though the brain, it must be a midfield in there sometimes, so much room for things to rattle around.  Am I ready to leave, I feel so safe here, it feels like I'm heading back out into the big wide world.  I remember when I had Isabelle, she took her time coming out (although perfect that she came), and I never the left the hospital for days and when we did, it was that surreal moment..  Maybe exaggerating here but of course that's what I do!

Matt messages me and he's had his line out, woohoo!.  One of my favourite nurses, Gala, whom I'll never forget comes in and tells me in Russian to lie down and it's my turn.  She's so gentle and it's easily out, I reach out and she gives me a little hug, I think I see tears, (definitely tears from me) I'm sure I was a good patient for her, she was so good to me.

Matt says goodbye to Dr F - thanks to Bill for the T-shirts
Matt, me, Anastasia and Bryn
Matt's leaving today.  We've been here the whole time together.  I'm so excited for him to be going home but I'm going to miss him..  It's weird you know.  Matt's girlfriend Laura was here with his brother Bryn and they spent lots of time with Paul and got along famously, spending actual physical time together, dinners, travel, emotional I'm sure, it's so good to have this carers support for each other.  Matt and I on the other hand really didn't spend time together as such in the same space but were next door all the time, chatting a lot using messaging and comparing things all the time.  It's amazing how you feel you have this link through your exact HSCT experience and I think we'll have it for a lifetime..  Can't wait to see them again when we are fit and healthy.  Lot's of tears when they left..  Happy happy tears when they left, I'm so excited for their future as much as my own.

So now you can tell that I had finally ventured out of my room and into the corridor, it felt good to see people again..
Me & fellow HSCT patient Fred

An influx of patients quickly came up through the corridors as they were all on their way up for their first jugular catheter..  Lots of mixed emotions going around, I do remember those feelings.  It's not a fun thing but I can now look back that it wasn't that bad.  I finally got to meet them all, Bill, Fred, Ansh, (on their path together) along with Debbie and Karan for support, they are all a few weeks behind me but all so ready for their journey as well.  They will support each other well, you could tell already.  Paul of course already knows him and they love him already, who couldn't x 

Sleepy afternoon for me, so Paul heads out, he still had some photo's to get apparently - he's loved documenting the whole experience.   And one more big adventure for me today - I venture outside!!  I haven't been outside for maybe 14 days, I can't remember really.  Rug up but Paul says it's not that cold, well after being snug in my bed for so long it was a little chilly for me I can tell you.  We do a wheelchair run as I'm not sure I'm quite up for walking yet, the fresh air was lovely and Paul takes me for a lovely spin around the grounds.

Finished the afternoon with a quick chat on level 2 with the guys I'd met earlier, and got to meet another Aussie Jo.  Lovely to share stories, and chocolate, love those Hershey's Karan, need to find me a supplier for those!

Better go pack now - last night sleeping at Pirogov Hospital tonight !!


Day 31

Day (0+13)
 


Last Day in Moscow

This is a bit of a blur to write as I'm writing it from home now and it's a week ago and my brain is also a bit hazy at the moment as well - there is a reason I tried to write things each day.   Anyway...  The morning we needed to get packed up and leave my special room by 11am so it could be readied for another patient, Dennis, who was having his transplant today.  Hope he finds this room as lucky as me!

Wasn't sure where we were going to spend the day, and I was feeling a little anxious as our flight wasn't leaving till midnight and we were not leaving the hospital until 7pm.  Of course I had nothing to worry about, Anastasia said you must have a bed to rest in my dear and had organised one for me in Ansh's room, I felt a little intrusive but Ansh made me feel very welcome.

We had a meeting with Dr Fedorenko to go through everything.  Treatment, results, he is very happy with where all my blood work is at, aftercare instructions and he wants to make sure we give him and Anastasia updates on my progress.  Hugs and lots of tears from me, I can't thank this man enough.  He has been amazing, professional and he has such a caring, endearing way about him that you just feel so very cared for.

Dennis - entertaining the crowd!
After this we were lucky enough to go back up to level 3 and enjoy one last "New Life" party for Dennis.  Dennis has a real energy about him that just seems to fill the air with positivity - it was a pleasure to be able to be a part of his celebration!

Popped on gowns for one last time so we could pop into ISO rooms and say goodbye to Felicity, Bjorn and Prue.  Yelling through the doors not easy but so nice to be able to say goodbye and wish them well - we'll be keeping in touch!

Final chats with our friends downstairs, we've been so blessed to meet such nice people here from all around the world and we look forward to keeping in touch with them - such a special experience we have gone through together even though at different stages.

The HSCT gang continues on
Time to get organised to go to the airport, Anastasia, how can I possibly say goodbye to you - she decides to come for a ride to the airport so lucky me, no tears yet!

Car arrives at 7pm and we pack up ready for our 2 hour(ish) drive to the airport.  I think Paul sleeps a fair bit of the way. I love listening to Alexander and Anastasia talk and laugh in Russian on the drive.  We have a pretty good run except for a truck that's really not keen on letting us in so gives the side mirror a bit of a swipe, they drive pretty close at times!  Parking at the airport is interesting but Alexander is an expert, bags out quick and Anastasia helps me walk in and Alexander sweet talks a security lady into giving us a wheelchair at the front door and they sweep us off to find Emirates check in.  They need to head off pretty quick because of the car which is a good thing as it's a quick hug with Anastasia, no time for too many tears, we'll be back to see her again some day xx

Saying goodbye to the beautiful Anastasia
Emirates organise us quickly and assist us to the lounge and now we are ready and waiting - Midnight hurry up and come!

We're coming home, We're coming home - I'm so very excited to see Isabelle, Sebastien, Mum and Dad.

MOSCOW - how can we thank you for having us!!  We are so very grateful that you allowed us to come here for my treatment and we hope to come back one day so we can see this beautiful city properly xxx 

And when I come back I will walk the Red Square from corner to corner and go in everywhere !!! 

GOODBYE MS - YOU ARE NOT COMING HOME WITH ME AND YOU WILL NOT BE COMING BACK WITH ME !!

4 comments:

  1. Well Natalie here's to you.Cheers.What an amazing person you are.Thank you so much for sharing your experience with so many.I am hoping that you will continue to let us all know how you are going.Take care.Keep positive.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely words, I'm so happy that people have enjoyed reading my blog. I may not write as often now but I will definitely update on my progress and it's going to be great! xx

      Delete
  2. So pleased that you have had time to finish off your final stay in Moscow. It must have felt strange to realize that the treatment was over & the new you could emerge!
    An amazing person has been on an amazing journey, Congratulations that you have come through it all. Go forward in your life.
    Be Strong Be Brave Be You,
    Live Laugh Love
    Will look forward to hear from you again,
    Pam Wildermuth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, Thanks so much for your encouraging words throughout my journey, I'm going to try and keep updating, just as much for me as others. Loving being home! xxx

      Delete