Tuesday 21 October 2014

Day 22

(Day 0+4)

Might be a tad boring update today but I'll give it a go anyway, actually I'm not sure I can.  Looking back a day gets hard if I leave it too long through the day and now I can hardly remember what took up the day..

Mind wanders all over the place..  Currently thinking a lot about when I get home and now that the main processes are done and it's ISO and rest I'm finding that I'm actually getting to talk to my family some more...  They prop up the I-pad and chat and go about their business while I comment here and there, show me things that have been done and tell me about the day, it's so lovely, can't believe you are on the other side of the world and able to do this so easily.

Over the whole "Bachelor" thing I have to put in, how long can they possibly drag that out!  Does that show have any credibility in moving forward - not looking so good from this one band fan!

Think I might let Paul take over this one as I think he had an interesting day - lets see if I can get him on board for later!!

From Paul
After some calls to work I headed in to see Nat at around 10 AM. I have to mention my work and especially my team. My boss in the first instance and the business as a whole who have been supportive both in terms of leave but also emotional support. Secondly the most fantastic team of people that a leader could wish for. Their care and compassion is second to none. Without this support I wouldn't be able to give Natalie the support she needs -  I am so grateful for this.

First snow in Moscow
Overnight it had snowed 3-4 inches. It wasn't the first time we had seen snow in Moscow in the last few days, but it was the first time it had settled. There's no doubt that snow just makes the scenery look fantastic. I haven't seen snow for a while so it was just that bit more special. I tried to get some special shots but the snow had been disturbed and I didn't want to spend time exploring when all I really wanted to do was get into the hospital and check on Natalie.

Talking to Nat through the double glazed door on the entry to ISO isn't the greatest. In fact we both find it easier to use Facetime or Skype. However I really need to see her every couple of days and satisfy myself that she is really Ok.

I was so pleased to find her smiling. She has found each step so far very draining, but the isolation phase seems to be her best. She's still tired, no doubt about it, but she's not completely drained. Such a trouper and a champion. When I think of toughness I think of her. She gets knocked down but she gets up again and again (sounds like a song from a fe years ago!).  I don't know many who have this level of toughness, to come back again and again from defeat - and always with a smile. She's a better person than me.
Nat in ISO
Stuck behind the door!
We also said goodbye to a couple of other champions in Aaron and Sam. I've spent a lot of time with Sam and as as fellow carers we have become real friends. It's amazing to share this journey with others on the same path, and this shared experience assists us all.

Headed home early as there's not that much to do now at the hospital. Nat's in lockdown, my routine has completey changed, it's almost as if you feel a little lost at this stage.

This ones for you Seb!
Getting off the tram and walking the short disctance through the edge of the forrest I found myself noticing the wildlife.  Small birds everywhere, and then a squirrel. I was able to get an OK shot of the squirrel, no telephoto available but cropping is OKish. The birds were too shy, and I was too cold to stand around.

Dinner with new friends from the US, Bill and Debbie.  Bill is at the start of his journey and a wealth of knowledge on MS having the disease for 25 years. Also a last dinner with Neil and Marilyn.  These guys, in particular Neil, have cared for son of a friend (Troy). I am in awe of their generosity and compassion. If there were medals for this type of service then they deserve one.

A few (too many) beers with Bryn in the lobby of our hotel while "people watching" and then off to bed.

2 comments:

  1. Paul I have never met you but reading Nats and your words daily what a wonderful husband man you are.... Every time Natalie gets knocked down it must knock you to! Hope the next few days goes quickly for you both! As it's near the end. Natalie thanks again for sharing your journey you have knocked MS out :-))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paula, love hearing from you.. He is amazing, I'm a lucky lucky girl xx

    ReplyDelete