Wednesday 1 October 2014

So it begins...

Day 1

Lets start at the end of the day first, it feels all a bit foggy as I was so exhausted by the end of it I could hardly read let only begin to blog so instead, in a daze, I watched 2 episodes of a TV show called Arrow (came highly recommended by Isabelle) and collapsed into a somewhat restless sleep which is to be expected on your first night in hospital in a journey of a lifetime only to wake up super early, so then it's time to blog about the day before as it's still all fresh in the mind, stop for a quick shower, come back and it's all gone, I could swear but I better not!  I'd written heaps and I'm sure it was "laced with a hint of humour and a lot of heart" - that's what I'm going for so let me know if I succeed.

Okay lets go back to the morning (and I'm sorry but this may be briefer than was originally intended but you may be sick of my ramblings by now anyway!)

Early morning as I was nervous, excited and every other emotion you can imagine..  Packing up of my bags was the to do!  Paul found me a lovely ham & cheese croissant from the café downstairs, he received a strange look when he asked for it to be heated but managed to get it done.  Might be asking for those to be delivered to the hospital for breakfast as I believe porridge is the main menu item for breakfast if I'm not interested in eating the porridge in hospital.

Pirogov Hospital - impressive buildings!
So of course I was ready early and we were downstairs to order a taxi a little before 10am, due to check in to hospital at 11am.  Paul asked the concierge for a taxi and said we were going to Pirogov, I got out the address to show her and she said "yes you are going to meet Dr Fedorenko"!! The taxi driver was there within a few minutes, he had been told where to take us but once we started driving he said quite a few things in Russia then ended with 'airport', we think he was confused since I had a bit of excess baggage for one heading to hospital.



Grounds look awesome, especially in Autumn
We said no and showed him address and all was good.  Within 20 minutes we had arrived - wow, we are here!  The hospital facility is completely fenced and fully secured with guards and there are two gates at the front, now which one do we go through??  Looks like the one on the left by the way others are coming and going - funny enough we can't read the signs.  So we head in, funny looks at our excess luggage again, the admin lady asks me lots of questions which I have no idea what she is saying so just say, Anastasia and Dr Fedorenko and she understands and we pass her our passports.  She fills in our details passes us some cards which I assume is for entrance and says "please sit down".  We only wait about 10 minutes and the door opens and there is gorgeous Anastasia "in the flesh"!  I nearly burst into tears as it feels like I'm greeting a friend, a friend who I know is going to help me, big hugs and she says "my dear no tears no tears"..  She talks to everyone and is so bright and bubbly, an amazing energy and we just love her instantly.  Off we go through the other gate and to the main admin for the paperwork and to pay our fee for 'testing'..  All is good and we are on our way to find my room.  Very impressed with the room!  There is a bed, couch, table, huge windowsills (for all my crap), a kitchen area, bathroom and it's all mine on my own  (previously rooms have been shared when necessary so we weren't sure if I would need to).

My room for the next 2 weeks
The Lucky One ! - my own dining area and ensuite!













Quick chat with Anastasia and she will be back later to do some more paperwork.  Big hugs from Samantha to welcome us and we head out to the lounge area to finally meet Aaron, what a lovely guy he is, and it's so great to finally meet him after all these months.  Aaron also gave me one of his "Azza straps" which is a piece of tyre tube to use to lift your leg, amazing feeling and it works!  Whilst sitting in comes Dr Fedorenko and I think I'm going to cry again - this is the man I have come to see!!  He greets us like we are old friends and I'm feeling special already, I'm getting so excited.  Just a quick chat and he will come and see us a bit later.


My new friend Aaron lends me a walking aid
The rest of the day was really settling in, a quick EKG in the room, some more chats and paperwork with Anastasia and another quick chat to Dr Fedorenko.  Tomorrow will be a big day of testing, no breakfast please, swabs will happen around 7am and lots of testing to follow.


All stocked up!
Samantha took me upstairs to level 3 which is where you move to once ready to have Chemo and also stay for Isolation time.  You have to gown and mask up if you are a visitor but not once you are staying on the floor.  Again it feels like I'm meeting old friends, first a chat with Irene, she was just finishing her last bottle of chemo so that was interesting I've been chatting to Irene and Emma for sometime so it's so nice to finally meet them.  Got to chat to Emma through the door in her ISO room, need to yell but at least she can still have visitors which is great!  Also got to meet Louise and Cheryl who are on a similar timetable to Irene.

Got to experience the big meal of the day which comes around 2pm and then the dinner meal (smaller) which arrives around 6pm.  Interesting to finally see, will maybe talk about food tomorrow but I will say I think I ate it all - off to a good start! 


My room is behind the tree on the right - 2nd floor








Also got to meet Troy and chat to Neil & Marilyn (his carers) and late in the day a young English guy, Matt, arrived with his partner, Laura, they seem lovely and hopefully we'll get to chat to them more tomorrow.  I'm feeling a bit blank about the rest of the day, I didn't do much but it was exhausting - may have already said that!  It's all begun - I'm here, how exciting!!!!  Hope I pass all the tests with flying colours, should find that out by Thursday or Friday!!

Oh - Can you tell who took the beautiful photos???

6 comments:

  1. Love the look of the hospital and the grounds. Autumn is a very special time with the coloured leaves. Dad reckons you might have snow before you leave. It was lovely meeting the beautiful Anastasia even though it was only on FaceTime. No wonder you all fall in love with her. Hope the rest of the testing goes well. Talk to you tomorrow. Love Ma and Pa������

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the very best Natalie. Love the name of your blog. Have been reading about your journey, very nicely written. Glad you didn't end up back at airport, that would have sucked (and made for a very short trip ;) ) Lots of positive vibes and thoughts coming your way..xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay strong, stay brave, stay you xx Jody, Mark, Lauren and Callum

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy that you are settled in. We saw your folks and kids today at the marvellous LionKing. They all seem very happy. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving your photos Paul. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pictures Paul! Nat - love the look of the facility - when I read your blog I almost feel as though I'm there with you - lovely!

    ReplyDelete