Sunday 28 September 2014

The weekend before it all starts!

Before I start writing about what we have been up to there is something I need to say.  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you all for your amazing support!  We have been overwhelmed by how much love has come from and family and friends both near and far, both old and new. Some of you we see often and some not near often enough but you have all shown us how much we mean to you in different ways and we will be forever grateful.  It means so much to have this emotional support xxx

Saturday

Started off with me nagging Paul for food! So he braved the cold (and cold it was) to try the bakery all by himself.  After going to 3 different places he settled on his new favourite little supermarket and bought (what looked like) croissants, a bag of little savoury rolls and bananas.  Now I made one stipulation before he left and that was that I don't really like things with filling and especially not fruit filling. The "croissant" was more like a hard bread pastry which was okay until the "apricot fruit filling" oozed out, that was okay I'll try one of the "savoury" rolls, NOT, they also had apricot bits in them!! But not so much, they were okay and with a cup of tea and a banana a good breakfast was had!!
 
 



So today I wanted to get to the Red Square as we had heard there was a demonstration planned for Sunday so definitely didn't want to be in there for that.  Thought about getting a taxi to make it easier on me but decided we'd do the metro as, if I could, I wanted to experience it.  Paul had it figured out, blue line, 5 stops.



Me, normally being the over preparer, had left it up to him as I think I had prepared so much before coming I had nothing else to give.  Bought tickets, easy (and cheap).  The platforms are amazing, you feel like you are in a museum.  There is marble and statues and history everywhere, just beautiful.  So we got off in the right spot and walked around to the Red Square, well what an amazing sight this is!!  A remarkable piece of history which I definitely need to read about so I can understand some more.  We walked the length of the square to St Basil's cathedral but unfortunately I didn't have the energy or physical ability to explore the inside of any of the attractions as it was just too hard.  Was so glad I came to see but I needed to sit down so we found a lovely cafe that looked out onto the square and had a lovely lunch together which was very special.

It was a tough walk back to the metro and hotel but we made it.  I was exhausted although happy as the outing was well worth the effort and since I am going to spend the next 4 weeks in a hospital bed hopefully I'll get some rest there.  The rest of the day was pretty uneventful as I needed to sleep and then too tired to go out for dinner so room service Club Sandwiches were on the menu and American Hustle on the computer..


For anyone heading to stay at the Vega, the Club Sandwiches are yum and for anyone who hasn't watched American Hustle put it on your watch list, it's a great watch!!  Oh my god did Amy Adams wear some sexy outfits!



Sunday

Woke up early, not sure the body clock has quite adjusted yet but it's definitely getting there and considering I never really sleep that well due to discomfort I guess I can't really tell which it is.  Facetime with the kids, it's so great to be able to do this as you feel like you are constantly in touch.  Love seeing their happy smiling faces xx 

On the list to do today is the Izmailovo Markets - oh yes I do need to get a little tourist shopping and these are a manageable walking distance from our hotel which is a bonus..

Inside the GUM shopping centre
We headed out with Libby and Jenny, I may have already mentioned them, Libby is Emma's mum (Emma went into isolation on Friday) and Jenny is Libby's friend travelling with them.  From all their stories they are not only looking after Emma in the hospital but the other girls who have travelled alone.  Very special couple of ladies!  Probably a 15 minute walk to the markets (faster if they weren't walking with me) and what a sight to behold.  Babushka dolls, Faberge eggs, hand painted Christmas decorations, fur hats, fur jackets and much, much more..  We hadn't got very far and Paul was trying on a hat and then I was, they were amazing and of course I wanted to buy straight away but my level-headed restrained husband made me wait.  What are they made of we asked "sheep wool" well that's okay, next one "silver fox", oh okay well do we want to buy a hat that's a silver fox, we are a bit unsure about that one!  Moved on and looking at lots of Babushka dolls it's really hard to figure out which ones you want as there are just so many and also many varied qualities.  The other thing that I couldn't stop looking at were the fur wraps, made of  Mink & Silver Fox mmmmm, not sure I can?  Scarf and hat/headband I love and it's so soft, ooh can I have this one, it's Chinchilla - um I'm feeling very confused on whether I should buy any of this I mean we've been brought up not to buy real fur and everything is faux fur at home so does it feel right to buy it, very confused because it's everywhere here so why shouldn't I??  Anyway, will do some research and think about it.

Would you believe we left the markets without buying a thing!!  The girls however did quite well.. I did have a good look and made lots of notes of what I like and the plan is that Paul will go back when he's not so cold..  It got really cold there so we all wanted to come back for a hot drink.  Hot drink (and cake), toilet stop, extra clothing and time to go back to the markets!  I had to go back again - after all it's my last chance as I'm not sure I'll want to venture this far from hospital on the days you can go out.  And you know me, I have to make a purchase!!  It was easier this time as we pretty much new the things we were after and purchased a few lovely souvenirs, no fur as we haven't done our research yet so we'll see about that!

Found a bigger supermarket on the way back to buy a few supplies then back to the hotel to collapse again although this time we thought we'd collapse in the bar.  Had a nice chat to Mum and Dad on Facetime, they seem happy and the kids are happy so that's fantastic!!


Dinner tonight was in the hotel restaurant with the Aussie family that is here.  Samantha (Aaron's wife), Neil & Marilyn (Troy's carers) and Libby & Jenny, 7 of us in total.  Our waiter Ivan was full of smiles so although Paul had some issues, wine not available, meal not available and then undercooked chicken, which was rectified no problem, it was still a lovely evening.

The Russian people are lovely.  There is not a lot of English spoken outside of the hotel and they don't always smile but seem to be very gentle and considerate.  It was funny in the markets as even though they knew you couldn't speak Russian they would continue to tell you all about their product in Russian and adding the occasional English word, it's lovely to hear.  I must say there was quite a lot of English spoken in the markets as well and whilst they want you to buy their goods they don't hassle you if you walk away and it's a very pleasant experience.

So.....  tomorrow I check in to Pirogov and it all really begins.  Feeling anxious, excited, nervous, hopeful, so many things, wish me luck !!!

12 comments:

  1. So great to get your update. Was that what Paul was doing while we were talking to you . Children are now on the trampoline. Isabelle about to do music practice. Washing finally caught up. All in all a good morning. Showed the children the blog, they were interest in the photos, gosh you look cold. Red square looks amazing, I too will have to do some reading. We know everything will go well , you have a lot of people wishing you well and sending you love, so the positive vibes will help your through . Love you.❤️������������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your comments Mum, kids seem so happy which makes me feel great! xx

      Delete
  2. Today's the day! Wishing you luck, love and wellness! So glad you got some retail therapy in before your stay! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such an emotional day - thanks for you unending support as always Marissa xx

      Delete
  3. Hi, it's Dad, Mums having a tapping break. Belle's tooting away on the horn.
    Have been analysing your blog title. STRONG: well how about at the age of only a half hour you gave me a right bolocking telling me which way is up from the start. Like where were you when Mum and I were going through a right ordeal? Anyone who can lift two cases of S/ Blanc must be strong. BRAVE: challenging the Catholic system at Warragul school was pretty brave. However the bravest by far was arriving home at two am on a Sunday morning (don't think it was from church) and waking us to make sure we were asleep!! Now for YOU: if we had put in an order for a daughter like you we would have been dreaming. Just shows, dreams do come true. BE YOU AND YOU'LL PULL THROUGH.

    PS don't worry about the PG rating you mentioned you and Glenn educated us years ago.

    PPS we think the Rock is pretty special too.

    Love you,
    Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I always had to make sure you were okay when I came home late, never know what you could have been up to while I was out at the local supervised non-alcoholic dance hall!

      Love you both, we are so blessed to have you xxx

      Delete
  4. I am sure Silver Fox are pests in Russia so you are actually helping their environment. Paul can check out what Aussie customs require.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning towards it. Will make up my mind before ISO as he'll have some free time to shop for me!!

      Delete
  5. I agree with Kylie - I am sure I saw you stroking Katherine's 'Silver Fox' at the High Tea!
    Silver Fox would fit right in with Camilla, Samantha, Sacha, Lisa !!
    Your are about to do some of your best work - love and strength to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, I need the perfect accessory so I can wear those dresses a little longer throughout the year, I would really be doing my wardrobe a favour! xxx

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Ok Brad I have to finally admit I can't work out BOFLA... Is it Best of Luck Ayy like a Queenslander would say??

      Delete